5:00 am – “Allah…!” I really only understand one word of the morning prayer because it is spoken in Arabic. There is a loudspeaker located close to my house and depending on which of the 5 prayers are being announced (or who is announcing them) it can become pretty animated. Most almost start out in a mesmerizing lullaby which gradually transforms into a scream. I’m not sure which part tells my body that it is time to wake up but it has become a habit. I take advantage of it because the morning is the only time it’s cool enough to do any physical activity and there are not so many people out and about if I go for a run that early. Nothing says “keep running” like hundreds of Cameroonian stares. Add to the fact that I’m the nassara AND I am exercising…this is like bringing the circus to town.
I’ve started a conscious effort to learn Fulfulde. I’ve discovered it’s much more fun and effective to go and sit with Joy in the market at her shop and study. This provides entertainment for people around me but then they help and correct my pronunciation. I was also introduced to a man who has a tree nursery but also grow fruits and vegetables. His house is my little heaven in Guider because it’s this amazing garden on the outside of Guider with the aromas of produce and flowers. It also helps that Youbou is really tranquil and his kids are really bright. They have taken on the task of trying to teach me Fulfulde. The first session was more overwhelming than effective because they spew out words like rapid fire. I learned to just interject with the English word: le mouton, balla/balli… sheep.
I have neighbors who just recently moved from Yaoundé who have a 15 year old daughter who will stop by my house and play cards. Since people don’t speak Fulfulde in Yaoundé she is just as lost as I am in this aspect. It makes me feel a little better that somebody born in Cameroon can be just as displaced as me.
The presidential elections in Cameroon have been announced and will take place on October 9th. I'm reminded that I'm serving at a particularly unique time because it is the 50th anniversary of Peace Corps worldwide, it will be the 50th anniversary of Peace Corps in Cameroon next year and I get to be here for an election - something that happens once every seven years. We are not expecting anything too exciting to happen but we are required to stay at our post from the 7th of October until the results are announced.
The presidential elections in Cameroon have been announced and will take place on October 9th. I'm reminded that I'm serving at a particularly unique time because it is the 50th anniversary of Peace Corps worldwide, it will be the 50th anniversary of Peace Corps in Cameroon next year and I get to be here for an election - something that happens once every seven years. We are not expecting anything too exciting to happen but we are required to stay at our post from the 7th of October until the results are announced.
I would have to say one of my favorite things to do is eat with my friends. Whether it is with Salihou, Joy or Youbou there is something great about sitting on the ground eating supper in a circle that makes me feel grounded, connected and fulfilled. I’m reminded of a class I had in college with Dr. O’Hara. I remember feeling particularly stressed out one particular day, so much so that all I wanted to do was skip – I sucked it up and went. This was a day that O’Hara decided to make tea and have us all sit in a circle on the floor and discuss a reading assignment. I left class not only completely relieved but renewed and grateful. I can’t explain it; it’s really simple things… a deep breath, Stella running up and giving me a hug… sharing good food with great people.
No comments:
Post a Comment