Sunday, June 5, 2011

Dinner at LaHoma's

     I apologize for the information overload right now - I really only plan to update about once a week or so once I start training. I don't know what my internet situation will be in Bafia because I made a personal decision not to bring my laptop. So I will share what I can now :) We started with safety orientation today and I'm feeling more comfortable with the mutual expectations between the volunteers and Peace Corps. We had two volunteers who have lived here for a year share some information they wish they would have known going into homestay. One tidbit was always mount a motorcycle from the left side because of the hot engine on the other. During this time we were told that we would join one or both of the clubs of PC - Cameroon. The moto burn club or the pooped-in-my-pants club.

     We had the afternoon free so I took the opportunity to take a nap. There was this loud beat thumping until the wee wee hours in the morning (I now know there is a club next door). Needless to say my slumber wasn't at its best last night. The Melfloquine must be living up to its expectations. The past two night I dreamt of flight complications - pretty normal even though my traveling is over. However, during my nap today I dreamt about a flying saucer that also served as a boat that went around rooftops squishing people - not so normal.

     Tonight we had dinner at LaHoma's house (our country director). Many important people dined with us and we met the American ambassador to Cameroon and his wife. They are wonderful people and both gave a brief inspiring speech that reminded all of us of why we are here and how important it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment