Saturday, May 28, 2011

Departure Imminent

     Well, here I am. A college graduate as of a week ago - about to commence a 27 month Peace Corps term in Cameroon. I'm feeling a little jumbled to say the least, but I must admit that it is in my nature to do something like this. I guess this is what my parents had coming all along starting somewhere around the teaching of the go-ahead phrase for the boat-driver when water-skiing (something that was acceptable to learn before riding a bike). It was almost an unwritten rule that the boat wouldn't power until the infamous phrase of "Hit 'Er! Hiya Hiya Hiya!" was in the air. In accord with the emotion and enthusiasm that accompanies the phrase, it seems my life has been going full speed ahead ever since.

     With only a couple days left, I have obviously had to deal with the one dreaded question: Why are you doing this? It's so easy to ask - quite different to answer. Because of the importance of this question, I want to take some time to address it.

    1. I truly do believe in the importance of knowledge and understanding of different cultures. The more I have talked to and become friends with people around the globe, the more I realize how similar everyone is. There is no "us" and "them" (internationally or domestically) and I want to do something that creates unity and encourages community.

     2.  During my graduation commencement this last weekend, I learned the Hebrew word Dayenu which roughly translates to "it would have been enough for us," or "it would have been sufficient." I know that I cannot change the world but maybe I can have a positive impact on a couple individuals. I have been lucky enough to have people in my life who fill it to the brim with positive energy, life, love and happiness. These things are infectious and if I can share those things - that will be enough for me.

     3. I will grow as an individual. I feel it would be erroneous not to admit that I will (more than likely) grow from this experience the most. I do want to enhance my French, learn how to live more simply and travel.

     4. I feel at peace with the decision (besides the normal jitters). There are some things that a person just has a good feeling about. I can honestly tell people that there isn't anything else that I would rather be doing right now.

      While these reasons may not cover all the bases, hopefully they are a start in explaining my decision. With that, I think I will end my first ever blog post. One of many many firsts to be had in the next two years to come.

1 comment:

  1. Dayenu indeed. I hope it's a great season abroad. We will miss you here!

    ReplyDelete